sábado, 21 de febrero de 2009

Cultural Challenges

I have already written about the culture shock I suffered (and still am coping with) regarding dogs here in Guatemala, but on a more humorous side, I would like to add two more.

Bathroom culture: European and North American women, you will have to change your bathroom habits. When I first arrived in Guatemala, my American host Jeanie forgot to tell me NOT to throw bathroom tissue into the toilet. When she did remember, I looked at her aghast. Fortunately her pipes did not get clogged. The Guatemalan sanitation system does not respond well to toilet paper. Consequently, you must get into the habit (men included) of wiping yourself and throwing the soiled tissue paper into the communal waste basket. I underwent at least two weeks of toilet retraining.

Also be sure to check the bathtub for these lovely creatures before you step into it:


Chili Caballo (Chili Horse)

Food culture: Beware of the chili caballo! I went to our town market and bought five yellow peppers thinking they were sweet. I removed the seeds, diced them, and threw them into a spaghetti dish. OK, the dish was spoiled, but I could deal with that. The worst consequence was that the chili caballo had scorched my hands! I could hardly feel the palms of my hands without this very painful tingling sensation. My colleagues sympathized with me and said that every gringa who comes to Guatemala goes through the chili caballo experience. Fortunately, the pain subsided two days later.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario