miércoles, 21 de enero de 2009

University of Valle of Guatemala- Altiplano (Solola Campus)

Students arriving for their first day of class at the University of Valle of Guatemala

I was awarded the Fulbright scholarship to help train English teachers and generally lend support to the director of the developing English language program at the University of Valle of Guatemala at their Solala campus (http://www.altiplano.uvg.edu.gt/). When I arrived in Panajachel, I tried to get in touch with the director of the English department, Franziska Zenhaeusern, which whom I corresponded last fall. I soon learned that she had gone to the U.S. for Christmas vacation and would not be returning.

Karin Evertz, Interim Director, waiting to give me ride to the university

One of the teachers, Karin Evertz, an American who has lived all her life in Guatemala, agreed to serve as interim director (albeit no previous administrative experience), so Karin is undergoing a tremendous learning curve. During the week of orientation (January 5-8), Karin, the other two English teachers, and I underwent “virtual orientation activities” with Franziska through Skype. The third English teacher participated in the orientation through Skype from El Salvador where she was on vacation. A unique experience indeed! (By the way, I am a Skype convert. If you are abroad or you have a family member or friend abroad, you should download Skype as your means of communication. It’s completely free and very easy to maneuver).

My English-teaching colleagues: Helga from Germany and Josanne from Trinidad

The first day of class was January 12th which was mostly composed of campus orientation. In the morning, there was a general assembly where all of the professors assembled in front of the students and introduced themselves. I did so also. Speaking in my stumbling Spanish, I told them that I was happy to be there to teach them English for six months and that this was the first time I was in Guatemala.

UVG Professors introduce themselves to students during orientation.

Because of the unexpected shortage of teachers, I am currently teaching three classes until they hire a new teacher at the end of January. UVG-Antiplano’s English program mostly caters to high school students. My first class is an advanced level of Basicos aged 14; my second class is an advanced level of Segundo Bachillerato consisting of 16 year olds and my last class is the higher level of college bound students who are specializing in the tourism business.

On January 20th, the day of Obama’s inauguration, we took our students to the “aula virtual” to watch the ceremony. The middle school students had a hard time engaging with the program due to their limited English skills, but they applauded anyway at certain key moments.

Watching (or not watching) Obama's Inauguration

Lunch at the Universidad del Valle of Guatemala at their Antiplano campus is something to look forward to. It is always a warm meal and lunch includes a vegetable, meat or fish, and always mashed avocado and tortillas as well as a class of fresh pressed juice or chata. The head cook is an impressive woman. Her name is Doña Tina. She has a kind heart, no matter how besieged she and her crew are with lines of clamoring students and teachers begging for a meal before their very short lunch break is over. Lunch at the university is a deal! It only costs 13 Quetzales (less than two dollars).
Doña Tina, head cook at the UVG cafeteria
Chicken is today's almuerzo
Cafeteria women making fresh tortillas from scratch
Always smiling, head cashier and drink dispenser


9 comentarios:

  1. Congratulations on your new chapter in life...
    I would like to know what progrmas do you guys offer for the students.

    please keep me posted by e-mail to mauriciomatheu@yahoo.com

    Thanks

    MM

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I would like to suggest you proof the Spanish on this page to get optimum attention from visitiors; there are some terms that are not clear on the message you want to send.

    Thanks

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hello! My name is Kelsey and I work with an organization at the Florida State University called Global Peace Exchange. I found your blog when I was googling the location "Solola, Altiplano, Guatemala" because four other students and I will be volunteering there this summer. For six weeks, we will teach with the Universidad de Valle in Solola in a program similar to yours. We have so many questions and could use lots of advice on the town, the program, and teaching English as a foreign language. If you get this, please contact me ASAP at ktg07c@fsu.edu. Thank you so much!
    Best,
    Kelsey Gilbert

    ResponderEliminar
  5. What a wonderful blog! It is just great reading about your experiences there, and I wish you the best in this adventurous year you are having. I will be back in my beloved Panajachel, helping raise money for LIFE School and their computer program (where Franziska used to work) and am very happy to read about your experiences in Solola. Hope we meet someday.

    Yours, Catherine Todd, catherinetodd2@gmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hello I work with the Cascade Medical group(HELPs) and we will be at the school in Solala on Feb. 21., 2010, will you be there? I will be working in the kitchen and would love to meet with you and find out more of what is going on. This will be my 3rd time at Solala and I would so like to find out more about the the university. Please contact me.
    Thank you
    Carole

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hello!! It must have been a great experience! Well, actually I'm from Guatemala and I am currently studying at the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala, but I saw the first picture of this blog and I'm there! you can not see me clearly because I'm behind one of the two tubes, hahaha

    I clearly remember the first day of school, ´couse I did not meet anyone!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Hi - this might seem really random, but I'm an old friend of Karin's from her days living in Florida. She looks exactly the same as I remember her. If you're still in contact with her, would you please tell her I'm looking for her. She can reach me at yyariv@hotmail.com. Thanks very much, Yael

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Hi Yael ... just saw your message!!! contacting you today.

    ResponderEliminar